Relic Gaming Community

• June 25, 2017, 01:21:09 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Author Topic: Working on New Desktop  (Read 854 times)

Str33tzk1ng

• Relic Officers - World of Tanks
    • View Profile
Working on New Desktop
« on: December 29, 2016, 10:19:04 PM »

I need help. Never built a computer before. My options. Buy the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883221296&ignorebbr=1 or build something. My only needs are a GTX 1080 and atleast 16gb of ram if im going to build. Im trying to stay at around $1400 but I'll push the budget to $1800 if it is super seriously worth it. Need help with a build list since I have no idea what to seriously look for. Plox. Thanx.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 01:21:07 AM by Str33tzk1ng »

3rdguards

• Relic Officers - Naval Action
    • View Profile
Re: Working on New Desktop
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 12:17:16 AM »

I'd say build, you'll likely save some money, (or be able to get better hardware for the same amount as the prebuilt) and you have more control over the build and how it looks/works. Building is easier than it looks. no regrets from me when i decided to build mine

War_is_Hell

• Relic Armoured - Veterans Division
  • Armored Warfare Username: War_is_Hell
  • This is my personal text. Thank You. Goodbye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 10:40:53 AM »

Build.  The problems with prebuilts are they funnel a bunch of un-needed software on you and in the end you can just as well get more for your money by building it.

I suggest using https://pcpartpicker.com/ 

Also at that link you can look at what people have built for how much and where they got it from.

Hope this helps!

Hoffersintx

• Relic Armoured - Second Division
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 01:25:06 PM »

Harmz and NewportReb both just built new machines for themselves--ask them for help.
FWIW, going for the GTX1080 will chew up a bunch of your budget--as in nearly 50%.  Depending on what monitor you're using, a 1070 or even a 1060 may be sufficient and will be MUCH less expensive, leaving you plenty of budget for the remainder of your build.  1070s can be had for under USD400.

Digital

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 03:44:37 PM »

Unless you are planning on immediately going to 4k gamaing, a 1070 should be more than sufficient for any and all of your needs. IIRC, it is as powerful as a 980ti (or thereabouts). Some things to keep in mind when building, don't super cheap out on a PSU. If it goes bad and fries something, then you will be salty and out more than you'd have spent by getting a slightly better one. I would highly recommend getting an SSD and a HDD for your rig. Depending on how much you like certain programs would determine the size of SSD to pick, but since they are pretty cheap nowadays, I'd go for a 200+ GB drive. Finally, don't forget to factor in the cost of software that you will need to get (i.e. OS, microsoft office, etc.) into your total cost.

If you need any help, as Hoff said, Harmz, Newport, myself and I'm sure many others can give you advice/assistance as needed.

Digital

Edit: Here is a short list of parts that would give you a rough idea of what you could get for $1400. Case was not included since you can spend as much or as little as you want on it.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 03:53:39 PM by Digital »

Deathmachine16

• Relic Armoured - Main Division
  • Armored Warfare Username: death_PRO
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2016, 05:46:07 PM »

What will you be using your PC for? Also, I'd recommend saving $300 and getting a 1070 instead of a 1080 unless you're running a 4k or ultra wide monitors like this at a high refresh rate such as this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236717

Str33tzk1ng

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2016, 10:47:45 AM »

I'm trying to stream and create video's as well as record. And run everything at the highest quality with no performance drops. idc about 4k I just figured it was smart to get a card I wont need to replace for awhile seeing as I have the money for it.

Deathmachine16

• Relic Armoured - Main Division
  • Armored Warfare Username: death_PRO
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2017, 01:20:11 AM »

I'll probably throw together a quick build in the morning once the alcohol wears off

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/death_/saved/#view=ZFbpgs

Honestly for streaming and recording video, the hyper threading that you get along with higher frequencies don't justify the price increase for your work to get an I-7. For 1440p the 1070 will have no issues with it and while the 1080 certainly is better, it just doesn't fit the budget. Your CPU and GPU can also very easily be overclocked with lots of tutorials if around youtube if you want some guidance.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 01:56:53 PM by Deathmachine16 »

HARMZ

• Relic Old Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2017, 08:17:55 PM »

here is what i used that I am very happy with.  Its literally half of the budget you are contemplating.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/LFfzpb

now this is a non-overclock build.  so if you want to overclock it then you would need a different processor and a cooler. 

I am able to run HD client with max settings at 75 fps.

Hoffersintx

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2017, 06:37:22 AM »

I run with an i7-3770 (yes, an older machine) with 12GB memory, 256GB SSD/2 TB HDD and GTX 970 SC.  I regularly see 120+ FPS with HD client and max settings on WoT, driving a 27" BenQ monitor (1ms / 144 Hz) at 1920x1080.  I do not normally stream.

I have used this same setup to drive dual monitors, the second one being an older LG 24" 5ms/60Hz and full HD, and both monitors ran at 60Hz.  This may have been due to an error in how I set the dual system up; I didn't attempt to optimize it.

Comparing this with Harmz' information, a GTX 1070 may be the *right* card for you given your use cases and budget. 
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 11:08:51 AM by Hoffersintx »

Superspeed

• Goes Fast
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2017, 09:54:36 AM »

I'm trying to stream and create video's as well as record. And run everything at the highest quality with no performance drops. idc about 4k I just figured it was smart to get a card I wont need to replace for awhile seeing as I have the money for it.

What resolution do you plan on playing at, that will determine what video card you should get, how serious about recording / streaming are you? Overclocking?
Vets Best Relic NA

Str33tzk1ng

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2017, 12:04:57 PM »

I'm trying to stay as far away from overclocking as I can. I don't know much about it and I've had computers that were overclocked and had too many issues.  With resolution 1080p 1920x1080 at max graphics. I was thinking about spending the money now so that in the future I don't have to.

Superspeed

• Goes Fast
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2017, 02:11:12 PM »

I'm trying to stay as far away from overclocking as I can. I don't know much about it and I've had computers that were overclocked and had too many issues.  With resolution 1080p 1920x1080 at max graphics. I was thinking about spending the money now so that in the future I don't have to.

if you are only doing 1080p I can't suggest the 1080, it isn't worth the extra 250-300$, the 1070 is plenty, here is what I suggest - https://pcpartpicker.com/user/superspeed07/saved/YqtCJx

it is an overclocking cpu, but for only 30$ more you get more clock rate.

Realistically you could get an i5 and and a 1070 and save more money, drop the ssd to a 250gb version, call it good and save yourself a bit more money
Vets Best Relic NA