Relic Gaming Community

• June 25, 2017, 01:21:42 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Author Topic: Graphics card  (Read 983 times)

HARMZ

• Relic Old Guard
    • View Profile
Graphics card
« on: October 25, 2016, 12:12:55 AM »

Last time I put together a build was over 5 years ago so I'm a little out of touch with current specs and prices.  My graphics card has taken a shit.  Any advice on a new graphics card on a budget of <$200?

Fodder4U

• Registered
  • Armored Warfare Username: Fodder4U
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 09:26:00 AM by Fodder4U »

Superspeed

• Goes Fast
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Graphics card
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 10:03:39 AM »

if you want new 1060 or 4gb rx480, used wise you will have more options
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 10:07:10 AM by Superspeed »
Vets Best Relic NA

HARMZ

• Relic Old Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 03:27:37 PM »

yeah the 1050is just over 200 which i can do easily.  Deciding to get it now or wait a month until every fucking thing goes on sale for black friday.

Superspeed

• Goes Fast
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 04:03:58 PM »

1050ti is 140$ yo If you are doing basic 1080p gaming it will be fine, if you want more than basic gaming or more than 1080p then wait and see what you can afford.
Vets Best Relic NA

BLCowboy6

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 04:35:31 PM »

I use the 1060 and it is an awesome card, I use it for 1080P gaming and it easily runs anything I throw at it. I constantly hit the 127 limit in WoT on max settings and on some maps will stay at it.

Deathmachine16

• Relic Armoured - Main Division
  • Armored Warfare Username: death_PRO
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 07:43:52 PM »

NDA on the 1050ti was lifted today so reviews are all over YouTube if you want to check them out

Bavor

• Relic Armoured - Second Division
  • Armored Warfare Username: Bavor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2016, 08:37:48 PM »

Are there games you currently play other than WoT?
Do you play at 1920x1080 or a different resolution?

If you budget is $200 and you want to spend $200, then I'd suggest a GTX 1060:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487263

If you play many other newer DX 12 games, the RX 480 may be slightly better in some newer games:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814126135

If you want to spend less than your $200 budget, a GTX 1050 or GTX 1050 ti would work very well.  A GTX 1050 ti can be found for $140-1$150.

After my recent experience with Gigabyte's awful RMA process I'd stay away from that brand.  They damage my motherboard in their RMA facility and refuse to repair or replace it.  I did have to send one EVGA graphics card in for warranty replacement and their RMA process was much better.  EVGA shipped me a newer model graphics card and had me send the old one back in the same box.

HARMZ

• Relic Old Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2016, 05:03:05 PM »

ok so i waited around and bought a asus geforce gtx 1060 oc edition 3 gb, plug it into my hp and choke.  after many long hours on support with hp and geforce both, it is decided that my card and computer are not compatible?  and hp does not support that model desktop any more due to age.  wtf

anyhow...

now i am looking into a new build.  Probably gonna frankenstein as much as i can from my old computers.

here is a list of what i have available

amd 6100 6 core processor 3300 mhz - from my main hp rig - (also have a amd phenom 9650 quad core 2.30 ghz from my back up rig)
2 sticks of 3 gb ddr3 ram - (yes i know i need more and will probably do so)
geforce gtx 1060 oc edition 3 gb
650 watt power supply
i have all the peripherals ie.  two monitors, keyboard, mouse.

i guess my main question is can i get away with just buying a case and motherboard.  or is my old processor such shit now that there is no use in keeping it and move up to an i5 or i7 although i7 is more than i want to spend.

also my hard drive has windows 7 64 bit i would love to keep without having to buy another hard drive and windows again.

thanks in advance, all help is appreciated

Superspeed

• Goes Fast
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2016, 05:12:04 PM »

need your budget

1. your cpu is shit, i5 is good
2. you might be able to use your hard drive, os installs are tied to the motherboard os is about 100$ fyi
Vets Best Relic NA

Deathmachine16

• Relic Armoured - Main Division
  • Armored Warfare Username: death_PRO
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2016, 05:21:01 PM »

@super you can get windows 10 for less than $100 though you will need a flash drive that >4gb iirc to download on your current pc

https://www.kinguin.net/category/19429/windows-10-professional-oem-key/

HARMZ

• Relic Old Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2016, 05:45:13 PM »

need your budget

1. your cpu is shit, i5 is good
2. you might be able to use your hard drive, os installs are tied to the motherboard os is about 100$ fyi

i was hoping my budget would end with the purchase of my graphics card.  i could afford another 300-500 bucks without jeapordizing christmas for the rest of the family

Bavor

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2016, 01:01:17 AM »

For $400-$500 I'd go with something similar to this for $443:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/K6G3NN

That leaves you money for an OS(linked above) and shipping.  You would reuse your current power supply.  You could drop the price by $75 by not getting the SSD and reusing your current hard drive.  That would being the price down to about $368.  Either way you would have to install Windows.  If you get the SSD, you can use your current hard drive for storage and just put the OS and frequently used games and programs on the SSD.

HARMZ

• Relic Old Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2016, 01:50:07 AM »

For $400-$500 I'd go with something similar to this for $443:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/K6G3NN

That leaves you money for an OS(linked above) and shipping.  You would reuse your current power supply.  You could drop the price by $75 by not getting the SSD and reusing your current hard drive.  That would being the price down to about $368.  Either way you would have to install Windows.  If you get the SSD, you can use your current hard drive for storage and just put the OS and frequently used games and programs on the SSD.

i have been looking at much the same thing or similar.  Thanks for linking this. 

Question will my giant ass graphics card fit in this case?

Bavor

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2016, 10:53:38 AM »

Question will my giant ass graphics card fit in this case?

I assume this is the card you have based on your description:
https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/DUAL-GTX1060-O3G/
That card is about the same length as an ATX motherboard.  The card fitting shouldn't be an issue.  If you look at the pictures of the case, the 2.5" hard drive bays are in front of where the graphics card would go so that there is extra room for a longer card.

Does your power supply have the right plug for the graphics card?  The card looks like it uses the standard 6 pin plug.

I don't know where you are located, but Microcenter often has good deals on processor and motherboard combos.  They also sometimes have a discount deal where if you buy a motherboard, processor, SSD, and RAM where you get additional discounts.  You have to pick up in store for the bigger discounts.  Including sales tax, I priced together a similar system at Microcenter for $418.65
http://www.microcenter.com/

Fry's also has discounts on components, however I only have 1 location within 3 hours of me and I've never been there.