• June 26, 2017, 11:23:56 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Car buying help  (Read 3850 times)

Yu86

• Registered
    • View Profile
Car buying help
« on: August 13, 2015, 03:09:19 PM »

Hi guys,
I'm planning to buy my first car in the States.
Coming from a different country, everything is new to me, except the car will be a used one.
So, right now I want to get some general knowledge as first-time car buyer should know in the States.
I'm doing research online but it just way too much articles. 
So I want to hear from you guys.
Any information, such as website for price check, car history check, and insurance, maintenance or something something important will be appreciated.

Thanks
Yu

Dahdah325

• Relic Old Guard
  • Armored Warfare Username: rumyDahdah
    • View Profile
Re: Car buying help
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 09:30:05 PM »

Used car buying can be a minefield. How to approach it depends heavily on how mechanically savvy you are, how good of a negotiator you are, what kind of vehicle you are looking for, how much you are looking to spend, etc. If it is your first rodeo on buying ANY vehicle, you are probably best served going through a dealer, instead of an independent used car lot. Nothing is guaranteed, even then, that the car will be perfect, but small used car dealers are notorious for peddling crap off as gold.

Any used car in the US these days will have a CarFax available for it. Most used car dealers will provide one for you, but be sure you get an independent copy for yourself (you'll need the VIN number). Look closely at the Carfax readout. Look at the previous owners and any major issues, especially looking for corporate owners instead of personal ones. Many used cars are former fleet cars; this is not necessarily a bad thing (fleet cars tens to get more regular maintenance) but be a little leery of low-mileage ones. If a Rental Co or Fleet Operator dumped a car early (sub 50k miles) it may have been because it was a problem child.

Also, do not be afraid to ask to take the car to an independent mechanic to have it looked over. If you don't know a mechanic, places like Firestone, PepBoys or Midas offer relatively cheap inspection services. It may cost you a few bucks, but they can point out issues you will not notice in a test drive. If a dealer won't allow an independent inspection, don't walk, RUN the other direction. It is a major tipoff that something is hinky.

Vanshi

• Friends and Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 09:48:24 PM »

I own a Jeep. Don't buy a Jeep.

Usa

• Friends and Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 12:17:24 AM »

I own a Jeep. Don't buy a Jeep.

What make/year?

AgentFowler

• Friends and Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2015, 03:43:21 AM »

All depends on what your budget is and the money you want to spend.

If your going to try to buy a car which gets from A to B, than that shouldnt be a problem.

However if your looking at purchasing a BMW, Audi, Lexus or Benz, than there are a whole host of things you need to look for.

In general,

1) Try to look for a car below 50k miles.
2) Test drive every car you are seriously interested in, and when the test drive dont be afraid to just sit and idle for a bit to hear the natural sounds of the engine, put the shifter in all the gears, see if you can hear anything out of the ordinary (such as knocking or extreme looseness), test the gas pedal responsiveness and the brakes, drive with the windows up and radio off. When the test drive is over, park the car, keep the engine on and open the hood, listen to the engine and look at the internals.
3) When the hood is open and AFTER the test drive is done, check the dipstick oil and check it, it should be semi clear and not black, or have any milky shit on it or metal shavings. Also check the exhaust during the idle, if there is white smoke of any kind fuck that car seriously thats a 5k+ repair.

Anyways, check my link, it should give you an idea of some questions to ask yourself.
http://pop.h-cdn.co/assets/cm/15/06/54d1504cb1bd6_-_used-car-checklist.pdf

Yu86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2015, 11:30:21 PM »

Thank you all guys, including you Vanshi. Really helped a lot.

MAJEST1C

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 04:44:44 PM »

Any advice on buying a car from a private dealer out of state?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 04:52:45 PM by MAJEST1C »

Colonel

• Relic Armoured - Main Division
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2015, 05:28:56 PM »

Don't settle for some shitty insurance just because it's cheap.

Vanshi

• Friends and Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2015, 06:20:53 PM »

@USA 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee. 5.2 v8. Auto trans.

SFCspoonman

• Friends and Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2015, 06:39:59 PM »

Find a local mechanic you trust.  That is the hard part.  Then you can tell him (or her) what you want to spend and they will give you some ideas.  Next, after you have found your perspective purchase, have it checked out by that mechanic.  We do a thorough check for about $50 at our shop.   Generally speaking if you want good value for your money, look at a toyota or honda 4 door sedan owned by a retiree.  They are good cars, and chances are they were used easily and were well maintained.

Yu86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2015, 10:14:32 PM »

So... is "Certified" used car a better choice, despite a little higher cost?

Yu86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2015, 10:15:17 PM »

Not wrangler? Get out!

Dahdah325

• Relic Old Guard
  • Armored Warfare Username: rumyDahdah
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2015, 10:55:40 PM »

Lol. '99 Grand Cherokee LIMITED* here; 4.7l v8, auto, Quadra-drive. Just over 200k miles, runs great, little bit of noise out of the rear diff, and 2/3 of anything electrical doesn't work. Seriously, the thing is built like a tank, but the asshat @ Chrysler who designed the electrical connectors that fail after 5 years needs to be put up against a wall and shot.

*"Limited" means 'limited electrical function of all the fancy shit after 150k miles'

Vanshi

• Friends and Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2015, 11:18:51 PM »

Mines got 258k miles haha. Engine is still great, tranny is about to blow tho. @Yu It doesn't have to be a fucking Wrangler to be a Jeep. Wranglers are goddamn impractical for everyday life. And yes I agree, Jeep electrical is dog shit. My interior lights work when they want too lol. My AC compressor/pulley blew last year so instead of dropping $200 for a new one, me and a friend found a Toyota serpentine belt that was a lot shorter so it could run while missing a pulley lol.   My POS.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 11:22:02 PM by Vanshi »

Vanshi

• Friends and Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2015, 11:23:27 PM »

Oh and JEEP stands for Just Empty Every Pocket. Lol.
Pages: [1] 2