• June 23, 2017, 11:30:08 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: GTX 1080 and GTX 1070 info  (Read 5133 times)

Bavor

• Relic Armoured - Second Division
  • Armored Warfare Username: Bavor
    • View Profile
GTX 1080 and GTX 1070 info
« on: May 06, 2016, 11:30:29 PM »

I watched the Nvidia webcast on Twitch tonight.

It looks like we learned a a few things about the new GTX 1080:

• Available May 27th
  • $599 MSRP
  • $699 founders Edition(Overclocking version)
  • 2.1 GHz GPU on air cooling.
  • 8GB of GDDR5X memory
  • 65 degrees C on air cooling at 2.1 GHz
  • 180 Watts power draw
  • GTX 1080 is faster than a TItan X or 980 SLI.  Nvidia's chart showed the GTX 1080 being about 20-25% faster than a Titan X with a lot lower power draw

The GTX 1080 has the ability to do corrected view angles on 3+ monitors and 16 different view ports.  Its called Simultaneous Multi Projection.  This also means they can do 3D VR with correct viewing angles for each eye to make the 3D Image without distortion by doing 4+ panels per eye at 90+ FPS.
The GTX 1080 has Twice the performance of a Titan X in VR

GTX 1070:

• Faster than Titan X
  • $379 MSRP
  • $449 Founders Edition(Overclocking version)

Other new Nvidia Stuff:
The new Pascal GPUs had a 2+ Billion dollar R&D budget.
In Game Camera system.  Port in game 3D world to your Android phone.
Acoustic Simulation in 3D.
Open Source VR engine

KiltedKey

• Registered
  • Armored Warfare Username: KiltedKey
  • My tank is fluffy soft
    • View Profile
Re: GTX 1080 and GTX 1070 info
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 12:55:13 AM »

Until I see it in the hand of gamers, benchmarkers, and real life performance, this sounds like fairy tale stuff. Are you saying 4K gaming for the masses is here?
The gay brony tanker of Relic: Pwning pubbies fabulously in ten seconds flat.

__Crusader__

• Friends and Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 01:57:11 AM »

With a $2 billion budget, 4k for the masses should be the least that it could do...

War_is_Hell

• Relic Armoured - Veterans Division
  • Armored Warfare Username: War_is_Hell
  • This is my personal text. Thank You. Goodbye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2016, 10:32:54 AM »

Yeah these things also come  with some funky technology that lets you manipulate screenshots.  360 views and what not.  But that technology has to be hardcoded into the game by the devs.  Still Im waiting to see what AMD fires back with.  Im cursed with Nvidia and have had nothing but problems with those cards since the dawn of my pc gaming days.

Heldar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2016, 01:30:29 PM »

Ive always disliked nvidia, mostly due to its perceived price gouging and disgusting price to performance ratios (intel is guilty of this bullshit too with the I series cpus...).  Ill wait until i see what amd has going for it, and see actual real world performance and price points from both.

Superspeed

• Goes Fast
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2016, 05:36:56 PM »

Ive always disliked nvidia, mostly due to its perceived price gouging and disgusting price to performance ratios (intel is guilty of this bullshit too with the I series cpus...).  Ill wait until i see what amd has going for it, and see actual real world performance and price points from both.

Both gpu companies are guilty of it, cards have always been pricey, it isn't going to change.

I will be waiting for the 1080ti and then decide what I want to do, seeing as how the 1070 should wreck my two cards, it would be nice to game with just 1 card and use a fraction of the power.
Vets Best Relic NA

__Crusader__

• Friends and Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2016, 07:59:39 PM »

I will be waiting for the 1080ti and then decide what I want to do, seeing as how the 1070 should wreck my two cards, it would be nice to game with just 1 card and use a fraction of the power.

I hear you on that.  Aside from the SLI compatibility issues I have from game to game, I've been extremely happy with my two 970's.  It sounds like even the 1070 is going to make my setup look silly...

BTW, I keep seeing conflicting reports/videos on how DirectX 12 is supposed to allow VRAM stacking, so long as the games being played are optimized for it.  Is that all just a myth, or is it just that most games are still not optimized for VRAM stacking in DirectX 12?  Are these new cards going to take full advantage of stacking (if it's not a myth)?

Superspeed

• Goes Fast
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2016, 11:21:25 PM »

I hear you on that.  Aside from the SLI compatibility issues I have from game to game, I've been extremely happy with my two 970's.  It sounds like even the 1070 is going to make my setup look silly...

BTW, I keep seeing conflicting reports/videos on how DirectX 12 is supposed to allow VRAM stacking, so long as the games being played are optimized for it.  Is that all just a myth, or is it just that most games are still not optimized for VRAM stacking in DirectX 12?  Are these new cards going to take full advantage of stacking (if it's not a myth)?

Supposedly it is a thing, have not heard a lot about it though, since I have my 2 780's, they throw a ton of heat, and with my summers being like they are, tis too much for my room etc, though cool days are nice
Vets Best Relic NA

Heldar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2016, 02:45:41 PM »

Thats another thing im hestitant about.  The whole dx12 "its a thing" approach as of now.  Would really prefer seeing something a bit more.. solid.

Supposedly it is a thing, have not heard a lot about it though, since I have my 2 780's, they throw a ton of heat, and with my summers being like they are, tis too much for my room etc, though cool days are nice

Wibs

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2016, 08:08:01 AM »

I just read an article and it cleared something up about the $599 price point--it won't be available to us mainstream consumers.  Nvidia will sell it for $599 to it's vendors who'll put their own hardware on it to carve out their own niches.  For us as consumers, we'll be paying $699+ for the card.

I was seriously considering buying a 980TI in next couple of months, I'm glad I didn't get impatient because this new card will be superior.

• Available May 27th
  • $599 MSRP
[/list]

Superspeed

• Goes Fast
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2016, 10:02:58 AM »

I just read an article and it cleared something up about the $599 price point--it won't be available to us mainstream consumers.  Nvidia will sell it for $599 to it's vendors who'll put their own hardware on it to carve out their own niches.  For us as consumers, we'll be paying $699+ for the card.

I was seriously considering buying a 980TI in next couple of months, I'm glad I didn't get impatient because this new card will be superior.

• Available May 27th
    • $599 MSRP
    [/list]

EVGA and a couple other companies will release the reference card
    Vets Best Relic NA

Bavor

• Armored Warfare Username: Bavor
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: May 10, 2016, 10:50:27 PM »

I read the complete opposite and was told the complete opposite by people who were at the event.  The Founder's edition is the Nvidia Reference design.  The $599 price is the MSRP of cards with aftermarket coolers from manufacturers such as EVGA, Zotac, and MSI.

Superspeed

• Goes Fast
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: May 17, 2016, 11:28:55 AM »

Benchmarks are out, the 1080 is a monster, it destroys anything at 1080 and 1440p, it can nearly 60fps all games at 4k while using way less power... Oh yeah, and then there is the 10-15% more you get from oc'ing

Performance is well ahead of the 980ti and titan x, and equals 980 sli. In Dx12 there is no nvidia card close to it, only the fury x is in the zipcode.
    Vets Best Relic NA

__Crusader__

• Friends and Family
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: May 19, 2016, 10:47:12 PM »

Makes me want to sell my two 970's, but with this thing coming out, I don't think I'll get any takers.  :/

Superspeed

• Goes Fast
    • Administrator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: May 19, 2016, 11:31:01 PM »

Makes me want to sell my two 970's, but with this thing coming out, I don't think I'll get any takers.  :/

Yeah hard to say, i've got a couple of 780 classifieds i'd like to upgrade from :/
    Vets Best Relic NA
    Pages: [1] 2 3 4